AFM Counsellors (BSD)
AFM (Addictions Foundation of Manitoba) – School Based Services
- To encourage the early identification and referral of students experiencing problems related to their alcohol/other drug or gambling involvement.
- To prevent students from becoming harmful involved in alcohol or other drugs or gambling.
- To assist and support students affected by the alcohol/other drug or gambling involvement of people close to them.
- Assessment - Individual or group. Gather information that will help the counsellor and the young person set goals and make an action plan based on the young person’s needs.
- Counselling - Individual or group. Assist the young person in meeting the goals they identifed in the assessment.
- Referral - AMF counsellors can make referrals to other services within AFM or external services as needed in order to help clients meet their goals.
- Prevention/Education – Counsellors are available to make presentations to classes. They also provide a source of accurate information to individual students, parents, school staff, community members and staff from other agencies on alcohol other drugs or gambling and their effects.
- Consultation - Counsellors are available to consult with and support parents, teachers or students who have concerns about student’s use of alcohol/other drugs or gambling.
AFM counsellors encourage young people to involve their parents in the counselling process; however it is not necessary that parents be aware that a student is seeing the counsellor. The exception to this is where the school or another agency (e.g. probation) is mandating the student’s attendance and there are consequences for non-attendance. Students can be sure that information they share is not shared with anyone else. Exceptions to this include: harm to self or others, physical, sexual or emotional abuse, or attending the counselling center under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Neelin and Massey ♦ Lisa Thibeau – (204)729-3846
- Crocus ♦ Kristen Zagers - (204)729-3939
- Main office – (204)729-3838
- Lisa Thibeau
- Monday – AFM
- Tuesday – Vincent Massey
- Wednesday – Neelin
- Thursday – Vincent Massey
- Friday – Neelin
- Kristen Zagers
- Monday – Crocus
- Tuesday – Crocus
- Wednesday – Crocus
- Thursday – Crocus
- Friday – AFM